Monday 6 January 2014

What kind of media institution might distribute your media product and why?

IPC Media deals with over 60 brands which engage with 26 million UK adults- almost two thirds of UK women and over 40% of UK men. Some of their brands include 'Women's Weekly', 'TV Times', 'Horse and Hounds' and 'NME'.
IPC has four divisions devoted to different aspects of the company: IPC Connect, IPC Inspire, IPC Southbank and IPC Advertising:
IPC Connect- deals with the mass market women's division.
IPC Inspire- deals with men's division
IPC Southbank- deals with the upmarket women's division focusing on Fashion, Women's Lifestyle and Home Interest.
IPC Advertising- deals with advertising
Which of IPC's brands come close to addressing my target audience?
There are not many brands that IPC publish that are close to my target audience as the majority is aimed at the older population. The brands that cover my target audience the most is 'NME' as it is a music magazine that targets a median age of 24 which, although is at the higher end of my target audience, is the closest IPC has. The other is 'Teen Now'- a gossip magazine for the target age range of 11-17 which is a little lower than mine but is close which shows that IPC do reach the younger audiences that my magazine is aimed at.
The music magazines IPC publish:
Uncut- is a monthly rock music magazine aimed at men aged 25-45. Price £4.80
NME- is a weekly 'new music' music magazine aimed at 16-24 year olds (mixed). Price £2.40



Are they similar to my music magazine?
NME magazine, as I have said above, has a target audience most like mine and is aimed at a mixed gender target audience. Also the price range for NME is much cheaper than Uncut showing that it is for a younger audience like my magazine.


 

Bauer Media has over 80 brands which reach over 19 million people in the UK every week. Some of their brands include: '4Music', 'Bird Watching', 'Closer', 'EMPIRE' and 'Planet Rock'
Which of Bauer's brands come close to addressing my target audience?
There are a lot of brands that would address my target audience: 'KERRANG!', 'More!', 'Heat' and 'ZOO'. All of these brands reach a high percentage of 15-24 year olds which is close to my target audience however 'KERRANG!' and 'ZOO'  have a very male orientated readership and my target audience is more female based but 'Heat' and 'More!' reaches over 80% of their female readership.
The music magazines Bauer publish:
MOJO- A monthly magazine, with high quality photography that is for 'extremely passionate music consumers'. The magazine is aimed at 15-34 year old men.
Q- A monthly magazine which features 'the biggest stars in rock and roll and brings the most exciting new artists'. The magazine is aimed at an age range of 15-34 year old men.
'KERRANG!'- A weekly magazine which appeals to the younger audiences looking for an alternative genre of music. The magazine is again aimed at 15-34 year old with a mixed gender target readership.
Are they similar to my music magazine?
'KERRANG!' is the magazine most similar to my target audience as it reaches my set age range and gender however 'Q' and 'MOJO' also come close to fulfilling my target audience as they have the same age range.
Which magazine would I choose to publish my magazine?
I would choose Bauer to publish my magazine as they reach my target audience more through their music magazines than IPC (Although IPC reach more women through their magazines they are of the older population) and therefore would have a bigger market for selling my magazine, however my magazine would also bring a new market to the company as it would be targeting mostly females aged 17-24 interested in the retro/Indie genre which is not a well published genre at the moment so would definitely bring something new to the market. 

No comments:

Post a Comment